WorldFlight Group

WorldFlight is a group of aviation enthusiasts flying around the world in home-built jet airliner simulators to raise money for their local charities.
It is currently Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:28 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Forum rules

This is a public Forum. Swearing and abusive comments will not be tolerated. Inappropriate posts will be edited or removed.

Post subject: World flight emergency
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:38 pm 

My Location:
In the ten years of worldflight how many emergencys have been called and what have been the worse ones. Don't have to be mayday calls can also include pan pan pan. How do worldflight account for these are pilots allowed to make calls when on worldflight to make it even more realistic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm 

My Location:
One particular incident did not broadcast anything, but the FDR recorded a particular sentence about "we've nailed it!" about one minute before impact...

Typical World Flight accidents are not related to equipment failing but to pilot error, often because of fatigue. This kind of thing during takeoff or landing does not lead to much R/T. Most often, the moving radar blip or aircraft viewed from other aircraft just stops moving, sits on the ground for a few seconds, and then SquawkBox drops the line. A few minutes later the same plane appears again in a previous position and the crew, usually shaken but not stirred, checks in again and completes the flight as if nothing happened.

Of course, this does not mean they get away with it :twisted:

Jeroen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:35 am 
WFStaff Member

My Location:
Actually, being realistic means it's extremely unlikely any emergencies arise.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 pm 

My Location:
Yes, Most of the "emergencys" I'v seen at worldflights have been of the nature of Pod strikes on landing, landing on the grass next to the runway, and the odd Face full of other aircraft out the window about 30 metres away and closing fast while the TCAS goes nuts.

the Tassie 737 crew last year got a face full of Ansett 767 rotating on a crossing runway as we initiated a go around. No radio telephony was broadcast, but the chatter inside the cockpit consisted of mostly expletives and a few choice words about Worldflight HQ ATC :lol:

I'v also been on the flight deck of QF25 as a jumpseater to witness a stall on finals resulting in a steep decent from about 800ft into the ground with the stickshaker going and about 2 or 3 miles short of the runway. I was also quite interested in the amount of fuel the Tassy 737 had to carry for a 6+ hour flight and how long the takeoff roll was... and how much fuel was in the tanks on landing, especially as they were threatened with a go around and only got cleared to land passing about 300ft. (AND the traffic in front hadn't actually quite vacated visually by that point)

Oh yeh then there was the day at worldflightoz737 when the Projector shut itself down due to an overheat as we were accelerating through about 100 knots on the takeoff roll and we went from nice sunny day, to no visuals at all. They fortunatley got that sorted out in cruise and found that something had got in the fan and blocked the cooling system up there. Quite a lot of discussion about cooling systems insued the following morning, but fortunatley managed to avoid a repeat.

=========================================================

Oh yes I nearly forgot. Captain La Paz Lacey and First officer me in 2002 or 2003 with, what I believe, is the first ever use of the "Cockpit Smoke" during worldflight when the sim was fixed base.

Flying along in cruise, someone came into the cockpit to have a chat and had a video camera, a quite common occurence actually. Suddenly large opaque tufts of smoke start drifting in via the air vents and I believe Mr Lacey's response was something along the lines of "QRH, Air vents off" as he reached for the over head to turn off the PACKS and feeds. I believe my response was something like... err... umm... something's not quite right here...

Good times 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 pm 

My Location:
Quote:
Oh yeh then there was the day at worldflightoz737 when the Projector shut itself down due to an overheat as we were accelerating through about 100 knots on the takeoff roll and we went from nice sunny day, to no visuals at all. They fortunatley got that sorted out in cruise and found that something had got in the fan and blocked the cooling system up there.

Sounds like quality IFR training to me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
WFStaff Member

My Location:
One could write a book about WorldFlight...hmmm what a good idea...NOT!!!!